SATS Unveils Sustainable Food Products in Asia
With the demand for healthy protein growing rapidly, SATS, Temasek and the Singapore Economic Development Board (EDB) have been exploring food trends in Asia – by connecting with several foodtech start-ups to identify sustainable food products. Country Foods Pte Ltd, SATS wholly-owned subsidiary has participated in the sourcing and distribution network to provide sustainable food start-ups a platform for growth in Asia.
With its culinary expertise, through Country Foods, SATS presented over 21 alternative proteins from 9 foodtech start-ups from across the globe. SATS’ foray into the fast-growing space of sustainable, premium food products for the region through Country Foods, establishes the company as the one-stop go-to-market platform in Asia for marketing, distribution and potentially even co-manufacturing of alternative proteins.
Influential F&B Groups such as The Grand Hyatt Singapore and The Lo and Behold Group are early adopters of alternative proteins, and chefs from these restaurants are pairing these new ingredients in their recipes to achieve a balance of flavours.
“While consumer interest for alternative proteins is there, demand will only grow if there are sufficient menu options that are refreshingly new. At SATS, we are adapting our recipes and cooking techniques to create authentic Asian dishes with these products. It’s both an art and a science.” says Executive Chef at SATS, Chef Matthew Yim.
Besides IMPOSSIBLE FOODS, for which Country Foods is an appointed distributor for selected food services, fast-casual restaurant chains and quick-service restaurants in Singapore, other plant-based ingredients making their debut at this event include:
- FABLE – a pulled pork alternative made from shiitake mushroom stems
- GOOD DOT – a grain and plant protein suited for a mutton or chicken replacement
- JUST – plant-based eggs made from mung beans
- LIKEMEAT – meat alternatives from vegetable proteins like organic soy or peas
- MIYOKO’S – non-dairy cheeses, butter and spreads made from cashews
- OCEAN HUGGER – the first plant-based alternative to raw tuna made from tomatoes
- PERFECT DAY – flora-based dairy protein that is a perfect base for dairy foods
- V2 – plant-based beef mince made from soy protein